Chilly fall days call for a yummy, wholesome bowl of soup. I usually head over to Panera for their delicious broccoli cheddar soup, but then I realized how easy it is to make at home! Although I still love Panera every once in a while, this is a more budget friendly option.
Below I will provide 5 simple steps for making broccoli cheddar soup that will hit the spot on those cold evenings. Nix the need to get in your car and drive to Panera... instead, stay in your PJs and whip up a big pot of this soup to warm you right up! Not to mention I bet you already have the 4 main ingredients at home in your kitchen.
- 1 bag steamed broccoli florets
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (1 bag)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
5 Easy Steps
1. Pour chicken broth and whipping cream in large pot and bring to boil.
2. Steam one bag of frozen broccoli florets. Set aside.
3. Once creamy broth has boiled, reduce heat to low. Gradually add shredded cheese, stirring constantly to avoid clumping. *Be sure heat is low to not overheat the cheese.
4. Once mixture is smooth, add garlic powder, salt & pepper, and broccoli florets. *If you prefer your soup without the chunks, puree the broccoli in a blender before adding.
5. Remove from heat, cover with lid and let stand for ~5 mins to let flavors set, and then serve.
This soup is a bit runnier than other broccoli cheddar recipes, but has the same great flavor! This is due to the fact that I avoid the use of flour, cornstarch or other added thickeners. I prefer using basic, wholesome ingredients for clean-eating... Plus this makes the recipe low-carb and gluten-free.
Hope you enjoy! & don't forget to click "Share" below to share on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter!