“You got this.”
This week I started a vegan diet. I didn’t really have a true motive, just thought hey, I haven’t been eating very healthy (aka, Valentine’s dinner, snow day binge eating, etc.), so let me try something totally different… something I’ve never tried before — which brought me to going Vegan.
Veganism is a plant-based diet that focuses on refraining from any use of animal products. From a girl who loves cheese and meat – pizza, tacos, pasta, and more – this was definitely going to be a challenge. So, I went to the nearest grocery store and picked up the following items to jumpstart my week:
- Fruits: strawberries, blueberries, naval oranges, grapefruit, mango, granny smith apples
- Veggies: cucumber, avocado, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, romaine lettuce, baby spinach
- Starches: sweet potatoes
- Frozen: cauliflower rice, asparagus, peppers & onion medley, Asian medley, green beans
- Prepared Foods: roasted red peppers, edamame & black bean salad
- Nuts: almonds, pecans, walnuts
- Other: roasted red pepper hummus, almond milk, chunky peanut butter
After I got home, I prepped some fruit and veggie snack packs in throwaway containers which would be my staples for the week! See instagram for photo of my snack packs. The fruits served as a perfect breakfast and the veggies were great for lunches – especially paired with some hummus. Nuts were great for an afternoon pick me up.
Here are my dinners for the week:
- Asian medley sautéed with soy sauce over cauliflower rice
- Sweet potatoes (roasted with olive oil, parsley, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper) and green beans
- Baby spinach salad with roasted red peppers and homemade balsamic vinaigrette
- Romaine salad with fresh veggies and homemade balsamic vinaigrette
- Peppers and onions sautéed with Simply Asia Sweet Ginger Garlic seasoning over cauliflower rice
As much as I love the delicious fresh fruits, veggies and nuts – I realized how much I miss my chicken, ground turkey, salmon, shrimp, cream in my coffee!, and cheeses like mozzarella, feta, goat cheese, brie and more. I have loved detoxing my body and challenging myself to discipline what I eat, but I certainly will be reincorporating my favorite foods back into my diet after the 7 days are up.