This past week I celebrated my 25th birthday. It kind of hit hard that I’m getting old, but I used it as an opportunity to think about all of the things I’ve learned in my recent post-college, adult life. So here I have laid out 25 things I’ve learned in honor of my 25th birthday...
1. You’re never too old to call your mom when you need help or advice.
2. You will meet a lot of people who are different than you. You don’t have to like everyone, but you should always be kind.
3. A hot shower makes everything better.
4. What you say about others shows more about you than them.
5. Friends will come and go. Not every friendship is built to last through every phase of life.
6. You are what you eat. If you eat shitty foods you are shitty— jk, but if you’re wondering why you feel shitty, it may be how you’re fueling (or not fueling) your body.
7. You might actually start to enjoy spending time with your parents. My parents have easily become some of my best friends.
8. Go the extra mile without expecting anything in return. The “what’s in it for me?” mentality isn’t good for anyone.
9. It’s okay to say no thank you and not feel badly. You do you.
10. With that, be deliberate with your time. You don’t have to do what everyone else is doing.
11. Small gestures can make a big difference— a smile, a helping hand. Little things can make a lasting impact.
12. Sometimes what you really need is a good night’s sleep.
13. Be the kind of friend that you’d want to be friends with.
14. Drinking every night of the weekend is fun until the hangover hits. Which is way worse than it ever was in college.
15. Speaking of college, being an adult means you can’t skip work or blow off responsibilities when you’re not feeling up to it. Time to put on your big girl pants and suck it up.
16. Set up an emergency savings account that withdrawals every time you get a paycheck. You never know when you’ll get a flat tire, need to book a flight to see a friend/relative in a time of need, etc.
17. It’s okay to be wrong, but hold yourself accountable for your mistakes. Don’t put the blame on someone else.
18. No matter how old you are, you will still feel like a kid! Never stop learning and growing.
19. If you can’t change the circumstance, change your mindset. You can usually find the silver lining if you look for it.
20. Ask when you need help. You don’t have to be a superhero and you’re not expected to know everything.
21. There will never be a good time for life changes, stop trying to over plan and let life just happen.
22. Take some time to get to know yourself... what makes you happy, what you’re passionate about, what gets you out of bed in the morning.
23. Be gracious. Show others that you appreciate them and mean it.
24. Be in love with your life... The good, the ugly, the bad, the beautiful!